March 11, 2012
Sundays 7:30 am Channel 27 WKYT
It is requested that all children under the age of five stay in our nursery
so there will be no distractions during the preaching of the Gospel.
HYMN OF THE DAY
Awake, my soul, and rise
Amazed, and yonder see
There hangs the mighty Saviour - God
Upon a cursed tree.
How perfectly fulfilled
Is that most ancient plan
Contrived in God’s eternal mind
Before the world began.
Here free salvation reigns
And carries all before
His death shall for a guilty race
Be refuge evermore.
Now hell in all her strength
Her rage, and boasted sway
Can never snatch a wand’ring sheep
From His great hands away!
(Tune: “I Love Thy Kingdom” p. 188)
11th – Bill Dent 12th – Chance Borders 13th – Renee Brice
13th – Nicholas Creamer 13th – Isaac Hands 14th – Aaron Greenleaf
16th – Jacob Davis 17th – Gene Rutledge
“Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned?” - Proverbs 6:27-28
“Our souls loatheth this light bread.” The manna that fell down from heaven every day no longer tasted good to them. Did the manna change in composition or taste? No. Their taste had changed.
EVIL COMMUNICATIONS CORRUPT GOOD MANNERS
“Be not deceived; evil communications corrupt good manner.” (I Cor. 15:33) The word communication means to commune with; to have association with. If I commune with people who do not believe, they will always bring me down to their level. I will be corrupted by them. If my friends are those who are of this world, they will poison me. Do not be deceived! This is always true…“Evil communications corrupt good manners.”
“BLESSED ARE THE POOR IN SPIRIT”
The poor in spirit are those who have nothing that could recommend them to God because in and of themselves they are nothing and can do nothing. Poverty of spirit is defined more by what you do not have then what you do have. How and why is this a state of blessedness? Because Christ says it is. Because the kingdom of heaven is theirs! Because only when you have nothing, are you able to trust Christ for everything. Only when you are nothing is He all. Only those who can do nothing are strengthened by Christ to do all things. Only the poor in spirit have true riches. As one man said, “I am a poor sinner, and nothing at all, but Jesus Christ is my all in all.” Poverty of spirit is true wealth. From this foundational beatitude arise all the rest of the beatitudes. That is why this is mentioned first. “Blessed are the poor in spirit.”
WHAT IS IT THAT IS BEST FORGOTTEN?
“Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth
unto those things which are before.” - Philippians 3:13
1. Forgetting my days of rebellion and unbelief is best for me, and everyone else! People sometimes want to erect “monuments to the meanness”. If we must recall the past, let it be with shame, not levity.
2. Forgetting my profession in false religion! And my attempts to produce a righteousness before God.
3. Forgetting even those good works and deeds done in the name of Christ. When Paul recalled his efforts in the ministry, he said, “I am a fool in glorying.”
4. Forgetting all misunderstanding and careless divisions with my brothers and sisters. If God remembers my sins no more – I would be an ingrate to remember yours!
5. Forgetting the past and reaching forth unto those things which are before! “Lord, remember me when you come into Thy kingdom.” And we shall be satisfied when we awake with His likeness. – Pastor Henry Mahan
THE RIGHT FORM IS EASIER TO ATTAIN THAN THE RIGHT HEART
1. Outward form is preaching, prayer, and doing! Inward worship is love, reverence and faith.
2. Outward form is a duty sometime! Worship is an attitude all the time.
3. Outward form can be counterfeited. True worship can never be counterfeited.
4. Outward form speaks of the Redeemer’s power! Worship rejoices in the Redeemer’s person.
5. Outward form serves God. Worship walks and talks with God.
6. Outward form is imitation. Worship is regeneration!
- Pastor Henry Mahan
“I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase”
I Corinthians 3:6
You and I may and must go, feeble as we are, useless as we are, and tell sinners about the sinners’ Savior. We may and must scatter the precious seed of the Gospel. The hand that sows the seed is meaningless. Life is in the seed, not in the hand that sows it. In spiritual matters, not even the soil matters, for it is the grace of God that makes the soil rich and fertile. Until grace comes, all is alike barren, empty and desolate. But God can make the seed sown fruitful anywhere. – Pastor Don Fortner
There are really only two religions in the world - one
of Cain and the other of Abel. One is Ishmael and the other of Isaac. One of Esau and the other of Jacob. One of law and the other of promise. One of Mount Sinai and the other of Mount Calvary. One condemns, the other finds no fault. One leads to bondage, the other to freedom. One tendeth to death, the other to life. One of weakness, the other of power. One of merit, the other of mercy. One of the weakness of the letter, the other of the power of the Spirit. – Pastor Tom Harding
Just as every unbeliever is sent to hell for their sin, fully deserving their punishment for what they’ve done…every believer is brought to heaven for their righteousness, fully deserving their reward for what Christ has done.
- Brian DuFour